ESSAYS AND WRITINGS ON THE WORDS AND MUSIC OF THE MOUNTAIN GOATS

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

On Escaping From Chino (a sonnet)


The pigs have their eager snouts at my heel
They know I have what they are looking for
The Austin courts have denied my appeal
So I'm Tampa-bound to settle a score
Half-pack of Marlboro's in my pocket
A handful of childish ambition
Nowhere to go and no way to stop it
Praying for some pills and ammunition
1967 Colt .45
Sticking out from my bright orange jumpsuit
Sick and searching for some way to survive
No money to eat, no courage to shoot
Nights in a houseful of tweakers are long
We live in shadows like the Vietcong

By:  Anthony Hall.  Mr. Hall is a poet, musician and author from a town called Valrico, Florida.  He spends his days screaming at things that aren't there, and his nights screaming at things that are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment